CityGirl Guide to…….Making A Commitment!
“Knowing others is wisdom; Knowing the self is enlightenment.” ― Lao Tzu,
So today begins a new commitment for me, regular writing, a blog challenge as it is commonly known.
I hadn’t fully committed to this until right now, wondering whether or not I was up to it.
Lot’s of fears came up as usual, making decisions to commit are not easy for me even 30 day ones!
I’ve always been someone who is easily drowned by self doubt, searching for external answers (Angels included!) as opposed to hearing the answers within.
You wouldn’t think it though considering my recent big commitment to leave the security of my day job and all I had built up in London after 7 years, to move to Italy.
It seems some decisions and commitments are easy to make no matter how scary!
Well , in my experience, if you perceive there is something or someone (wink wink) greater on offer for you, something that will enhance and support your greatest prioirites and goals in life , then hey preseto, commitments and decisions become effortless.
“No person is committed to anything but the fulfillment of their highest values” Dr John Demartini.
You see your first commitment is ALWAYS to YOURSELF.
You can’t commit to anything or anyone before you commit to taking care of yourself and what’s important to you.
(My dog constantly reminds me of this in his quest for more sleep and disdain for cuddles!)
So yes I said it : You need to come first!
And when you don’t it costs you big time , take note Women!
Isn’t that selfish?
Well if you like labeling how people should behave then it is , but think about it , in putting on your own life jacket first, getting yourself grounded, you are much more ready and able to help others who are struggling to put theirs on.
I’ve learned time and again, mainly through constant “burn out” from over committing myself that the only commitment I can really ever make is to myself and my life’s priorities, everything else is unrealistic and won’t see me follow through.
There is great freedom in knowing this though :
- Finally the guilt dissolves when you have to say No or let someone down.
- You stop “people pleasing” and instead awaken leadership from the inside out.
- You realize it’s Ok to change your mind if you suddenly wake up one morning and and no longer want to commit .
After all you create true harmony by making commitments that are right to both mind and heart.
As someone who used to equate busyness with success, it has actually been a real commitment for me to sit still, tune into my mind and heart and decide what is right for me as I move forward.
So I know why I’m commiting to this blog challenge, despite the fears!
What commitments are propelling you or holding you back in your life right now?
For greater levels of Wellness and Leadership in your own life, start today by making and /or un-making commitments that are truly in your best interests.
Follow the CityGirl Simple Steps to Easy Commitments below and if you can, get out into nature on a daily basis, as you go about your commitment and decision making.
- Make a list of what you feel are the most important areas of your life currently, focus on true priorities e.g :eating well/completing a work project/finding a man.
- Now narrow this list down to the top 4 prioirites that are MOST important to you. Carry these or display them where you can see them!
- Consider making all your commitments and/or decisions based only on what or who will support or enhance these TOP 4 priorities, practice saying NO to the rest.
Feel free to share this post and comment below.